- We are what we think.
All that we are arises with our thoughts.
With our thoughts we make the world.
- Better than a thousand hollow words
Is one word that brings peace.
Better than a thousand hollow verses
Is one verse that brings peace.
- It is better to conquer yourself
Than to win a thousand battles.
Then the victory is yours.
It cannot be taken from you,
Not by angels or by demons,
Heaven or hell.
- It is better to do nothing
Than to do what is wrong.
For whatever you do, you do to yourself.
- Master your words.
Master your thoughts.
Never allow your body to do harm.
Follow these three roads with purity
And you will find yourself upon the one way,
The way of wisdom.
- Hatred does not cease by hatred, but only by love; this is the eternal rule.
- Peace comes from within. Do not seek it without.
- Let go of anger.
Let go of pride.
When you are bound by nothing
You go beyond sorrow.Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it.
- The wind cannot overturn a mountain.
Temptation cannot touch the man
Who is awake, strong and humble,
Who masters hiself and minds the law.
- In every trial
Let understanding fight for you.
- How easy it is to see your brother’s faults,
How hard it is to face your own.
- Why do what you will regret?
Why bring tears upon yourself?
Do only what you do not regret,
And fill yourself with joy.
- Beware of the anger of the mouth.
Master your words.
Let them serve truth.
- You are far from the end of your journey.
The way is not in the sky.
The way is in the heart.
See how you love.
- To cease from evil, to do good, and to purify the mind yourself, this is the teaching of all the Buddhas.
Quotes Thich Nhat Hanh (back to top of page)
- When another person makes you suffer, it is because he suffers deeply within himself, and his suffering is spilling over. He does not need punishment; he needs help. That’s the message he is sending.
- Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy
- To be beautiful means to be yourself. You don’t need to be accepted by others. You need to accept yourself.
- Because you are alive, everything is possible.
- The seed of suffering in you may be strong, but don’t wait until you have no more suffering before allowing yourself to be happy.
- When you plant lettuce, if it does not grow well, you
don’t blame the lettuce. You look for reasons it is not
doing well. It may need fertilizer, or more water, or
less sun. You never blame the lettuce. Yet if we have
problems with our friends or family, we blame the other
person. But if we know how to take care of them, they will
grow well, like the lettuce. Blaming has no positive
effect at all, nor does trying to persuade using reason
and argument. That is my experience. No blame, no
reasoning, no argument, just understanding. If you
understand, and you show that you understand, you can
love, and the situation will change”
- Through my love for you, I want to express my love for the whole cosmos, the whole of humanity, and all beings. By living with you, I want to learn to love everyone and all species. If I succeed in loving you, I will be able to love everyone and all species on Earth… This is the real message of love.
- My actions are my only true belongings.
- Life is available only in the present moment.
- By eating meat we share the responsibility of climate change, the destruction of our forests, and the poisoning of our air and water. The simple act of becoming a vegetarian will make a difference in the health of our planet.
- Waking up this morning, I smile. Twenty-four brand new hours are before me. I vow to live fully in each moment and to look at all beings with eyes of compassion.
- Breathing in, I calm body and mind. Breathing out, I smile. Dwelling in the present moment I know this is the only moment.
- Hope is important because it can make the present moment less difficult to bear. If we believe that tomorrow will be better, we can bear a hardship today.
- The earth is so beautiful. We are beautiful also. We can allow ourselves to walk mindfully, touching the earth, our wonderful mother, with each step. We don’t need to wish our friends, ‘Peace be with you.’ Peace is already with them. We only need to help them cultivate the habit of touching peace in each moment.
- Your breathing should flow gracefully,
like a river, like a watersnake crossing
the water, and not like a chain of rugged mountains or the gallop of a horse. To master our breath is to be in control of our bodies and minds. Each time we find ourselves dispersed and find it difficult to gain control of ourselves by different means, the method of watching the breath should always be used.
Quotes Dalai Lama (back to top of page)